July 28, 2005

Who's proud?

A lady was talking to me this morning about our soon to be new house. I shared pictures of the house with her. She replied by email that she liked the house, thanks for sharing pictures and "I'm proud of you".

This got me to thinking. I've known this lady for all of about 10 months. I know her on a coworker/acquaintance level. She's a great person, just not the type of person I'd choose to spend more time with. She (I feel) doesn't really know ME - she knows the work me, but that's just a part or me, and not much really. And because I don't feel a great bond with her, and I don't feel I need to know her better, I don't share of myself as much as I would with people I like more or want to know more.

Anyway, so I was wondering how she could be "proud" of me. (I wondered if her "proud" was actually kind of like envy/jealousy/really impressed that someone could do this, since she couldn't at that point in her life/marriage.)

Can other people really be proud of me? Wouldn’t just my parents/family/in-laws be proud of me? Wouldn’t others outside that circle just be happy and excited for me?

2 comments:

k2h said...

I think she meant she was impressed. not a jelous impressed, more of

I have two kids who are slackers and I'd love it if they had done what you did

type mentatity. its a compliment, be it a bit weird

Unknown said...

i hate that phrase... "i'm proud of you." i dunno why but it makes me want undo what i did to motivate such a comment. i know it is meant to be nice and whatever but i totally agree with you alodia. they have no reason to be proud.

Post a Comment