August 16, 2006

Best Ever Gingerbread

Another recipe from my lovely grandma. I actually don't remember eating it at her house, but I do remember my mom making it and it's so good, especially with a bit of fresh whipped cream. I actually crave it sometimes, and once I make it, I really have a hard time eating just one piece. It's not too sweet or rich, and has just enough spice to hit the spot.

Best Ever Gingerbread

1 egg
1/2 c butter
1 1/4 c molasses
1/2 c sugar
2 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 c boiling water

cream egg, butter & sugar. Add molasses. Mix in dry ingredients. Add water and mix in until just combined. Careful not to overmix. Batter will be thin.

Bake in a 12x8 or 13x9 pan for 35 minutes at 325 degrees. You'll want to be cautious to not overcook it, as then it's a bit more dense.

Best when still warm. Top with cream, whipped cream, or milk. (I made whipped cream and added the usual sugar and vanilla, but also a bit of cinnamon and cloves. I think it may also be good with apricots or an apricot glaze, or a light orange glaze, though I've not tried these options yet.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i am so going to make this tomorrow night! sounds super yummy right now.

Post a Comment