February 28, 2007

busting my hump... for nothing

Each year at this time I have a big project, due on Feb. 28. And each year I kind of run down to the wire getting it done. Mainly because the job is VERY time consuming - I usually have to talk with at least 3 people to get answers to things I can’t figure out on my own, and because I still have at least 3 other jobs to keep up on at the same time (plus a little procrastination thrown in). I always stress about it and end up working overtime to get it done. I don’t hate the project, but I don’t love it either. I do feel satisfaction when I have it done. And I do kinda feel superior, because I’m pretty much the only one in my workplace who understands what to do and how to do it (and even I’m still learning!).

So, now it’s again the end of February, and I’m busting my hump to get this completed by the end of today. I’m now well past my “regular” 38 hours for the week. Last night I was considering why I even was working so hard, as nothing happens if it’s not done on time. Nothing blows up, nothing falls apart, no one is fined - nothing.

So just a bit ago, I had to ask another person for help on a question (I’d already talked with her at least 3 times), and she told me that there had been an extension granted this year for completion of this project. They extended the deadline to May 29. I have another 3 whole months!

I’m excited that I don’t have to feel stressed about getting this done today. I can finish it off tomorrow and still be way ahead of the game. I am a little ticked though, as I would bet someone I work with knows there was an extension given, but they didn’t bother to tell me…

2 comments:

forkev said...

let them pay the overtime; that is their reward for not paying attention.

Unknown said...

i hate it when i am the last person to know something that really i should be higher on the list.

just focus on the more time is a good thing... focus on good... =).

Post a Comment