February 2, 2007

Chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting

So a few weeks ago we were to take dessert for a lunch gathering. I decided I needed to get out of the "usuals" & make something different. I have quite a collection of recipes that I've never even made, so I looked through them. I came across this one that I got out of some newspaper magazine thing some time ago. The picture of the cake was appealing.

Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of the cake I made, but everyone loved it. Even the little kids (ages 3 & 1), who shoveled it in super fast, with frosting and crumbs still on their faces and hands & still chewing the last bite, held out their plates asking for more.

I found I wasn't super fond of the cake itself - I think it needs a more chocolatey taste, and maybe be a bit more moist. I'll have to do some tweaking. The frosting though - if I had this and chocolate frosting I have a recipe for, I'd be very fat and happy! I gave a small taste to husband, and he didn't say anything. I wondered if maybe he didn't like it. He told me he was trying to figure out how to get rid of me so he could eat it all. We've come up with many more uses and variations on it.

Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting

Cake:
3/4 c granulated sugar
3/4 c brown sugar
2 c all purpose flour
2/3 c cocoa
1.5 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 c buttermilk
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c boiling water

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 13-by-9-inch baking pan.

2. To make the cake, combine sugars, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; whisk vigorously until smooth. Stir in boiling water. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.

Frosting:
5 TBSP butter, softened
1.5 c, plus 2 TBSP confectioners' sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c smooth peanut butter
2 to 5 TBSP 2 percent low-fat milk

3. To make frosting, mix butter & confectioners' sugar with an electric mixer. Add vanilla & peanut butter & beat well. Add 2 TBSP milk slowly, beating with a mixer until very creamy. Add up to 3 additional TBSP milk if necessary to achieve desired consistency. When cake has cooled, frost top.

Serves 20.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

mmm peanut butter and chocolate... i'm starving for good dessert and this sounds heavenly.

Post a Comment