October 15, 2007

Argh

At work, my phone rings, I answer: "Hello, this is --"

Lady who called: "Oh, hello is [my boss] available?"

me: "No, I'm sorry, he's out. Can I give him a message?"

Lady: "oh, well, I'm from blah blah blah and blah blah... Um, can I put you on hold for a minute?"

me: "uhh, sure"

Seriously, one of my biggest pet peeves at work is that people call ME, then ask if they can put ME on hold. Like I have nothing better to do than wait around, phone to my ear, to find out why it was they called me?

4 comments:

forkev said...

i'd just say 'no. please call back when you are available to talk.'

place the burden squarely on their shoulders.

Unknown said...

i think it is wrong that it is considered more rude to say no to being on hold than to ask someone you called to be on hold.
i love it when i call someplace and am in the 'line' to get an answer and it asks if i want to be called back when my space in line comes up. that is courteous. making someone else tie up their phone line for your multi-tasking... lame.

Unknown said...

i'd say "sure" and as soon as they put me on hold, hang up.

they would have no choice but to assume something went wrong when they put me on hold.

KAN said...

This time I wasn't interested in being on hold, so I put it on speaker phone so I didn't have to keep holding the phone. I did accidentally hang up on her in the process.

A few minutes later she called back...

Post a Comment