February 28, 2009

Homemade Granola - camp-style


Each summer we have a worker´s retreat at our summer camp, Camp MiVoden.

This last year they served us granola as one of the breakfast cereal options. I´m not usually a big fan of granola - it´s always too crunchy, multiplies in my bowl of milk, and just isn´t that great. This granola looked a little different, a little softer, so I took a little bit, added some raisins, and ate it. I had it each day for breakfast, and then craved it two weeks later! It was so yummy. I asked a coworker, and she told me they made it there, and she had a request in for the recipe. She finally got it, and shared it with me. The first batch I made I ate within a week, though I think I screwed up the recipe, but it was still great.

Granola - MiVoden
(I translated it from pounds & ounces to cups)
Makes about 14 cups

7 c rolled raw oats, old fashioned
2 c coconut flakes
2 c wheat germ
1 1/3-1 1/2 c brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 c slivered almonds
about 10 oz vegetable oil
2/3 c water
1/4 c vanilla or maple extract

Mix dry ingredients together.

Combine liquid ingredients into another bowl, stir to combine, then add liquid ingredients to dry and mix to distribute evenly (do not overmix).

Divide evenly between 2 baking sheets.

Bake 350 for 25-30 minutes. Do not stir.

Remove from oven and cool thoroughly on pan. Break apart gently and store in an air-tight container.

OPTIONAL ADD-INS (I´ve added the following with success): cinnamon, various nuts, dried cranberries, raisins, sunflower seeds, oat bran instead of wheat germ. You'll want to add things like raisins, dried cranberries, dried other fruits after baking.)

No comments:

Post a Comment