April 1, 2009

Curried Rice Salad

I found this recipe who knows when in a Country Living magazine. I was going through my plethora of recipes recently, and decided it sounded good enough to try... So I made it for potluck today, and it was well worth it.

Curried Rice Salad
8 servings

1 can (20oz) pineapple tidbits
2 c cooked rice, cooled
2 c cubed cooked chicken
1/2 c chopped celery
1/3 c slivered almonds, toasted
1/3 c raisins
1/4 c chopped green onions
2/3 c mayonnaise
1 TBSP Dijon mustard
3/4 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp salt
Lettuce leaves, optional

Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set aside 1 cup pineapple and 3 tablespoons juice (refrigerate remaining pineapple and juice for another use). In a large bowl, combine the rice, chicken, celery, almonds, raisins, green onions and reserved pineapple.

In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, mustard, curry powder, salt and reserved juice. Gently stir into rice mixture.



Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve in a lettuce-lined bowl if desired.

NOTES: I used Fri-Chik, two of the small cans. That was more than 2 c chicken, but whatever. I added a bit more mayo, curry powder and pineapple juice. It covered it well. I think one could easily substitute fresh grapes for raisins too.

No comments:

Post a Comment