March 14, 2010

Yogurt & Banana pancakes


As I've mentioned before, I do love pancakes, but they need to be light & fluffy. I sometimes slice bananas into my pancakes, or I will put raisins & chocolate chips into them. Kevin's not that into sweet pancakes, so most of the time they're plain. I eat them with plain yogurt & fruit, peanut butter & applesauce, or a fried egg.

I found this recipe the other day, and hadn't ever thought to put mashed banana into my pancakes. These sounded so great, I needed to try them. I made a few changes, as I didn't want fatty sour cream, I like applesauce in my pancakes, and the pancakes I made last week with my homemade yogurt were fantastic.

Yogurt & banana pancakes
Adapted from Edna Mae’s Sour Cream Pancakes from Sugar & Spice by Celeste
I doubled this recipe, and got about 13 5" pancakes

Ingredients:
7 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plain yogurt, thinned w/ 1 tsp water or milk
1 banana, mashed
3 TBSP applesauce
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Optional:
Butter
Maple syrup
Peanut butter

Directions:
Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium-low heat.

Stir together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Mix yogurt, banana, applesauce, eggs & vanilla in a separate bowl. Pour over dry ingredients, gently mix, lumps are ok. Be careful not to overmix.

If desired, spread melted butter or oil over base of skillet or griddle. Pour 1/3 cup at a time. Cook until bubbles begin to appear over the surface, flipping them carefully and cooking for about a minute on the other side. Repeat.

Serve topped with butter & maple syrup, or peanut butter & maple syrup.

VoilĂ  - fantastic pancakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment