September 12, 2009

bounty

I went to a local farm, Carver Farms, last Friday to pick some goods. I'd been there earlier in the summer for strawberries, and they had corn and beans, which were the main things I wanted.

However, after looking at their website, I had a few more items to at least check out once I was there. It was a beautiful afternoon, not too hot. I started with corn. But I found tomatoes & peppers along the way to the beans. So I stopped and picked some. Then I got the beans. And I found onions, so I picked a few. Then wait, there were sweet peppers, and MONSTER size cabbage, and strawberries, and another kind of corn, and and and...

It was about 3 minutes to closing time and I decided I should go. As I kept hauling produce out of my car, I realized maybe I'd gotten too much. Too much to eat and too much money-wise.

Here's what I got:

20 ears of corn
2 pints of strawberries (even better than the ones in June!)
1 purple cabbage, average size (I seriously had to look for one that was smallish)
1 green cabbage, average size (again, the cabbage was larger than my head!)
2 red peppers
a handful of basil
5 red onions
3 large yellow sweet onions
3 large zucchini
5 small/average size zucchini
an ice cream pail overflowing with beans
5 poblano chiles
7 medium size tomatoes
4 stems of beautiful gladiolus



and the best part - it cost only $22.42! Twas awesome!

I came home, pulled it all out, and showed Kevin my bounty. He was impressed.

2 comments:

KJ said...

Sweet! I'll have to look into this place for our produce next time. :)

Anonymous said...

it is amazing, and this photo cracks me up, with Kevin peering up at it all!
~ Aimee

Post a Comment